How to show a cookie consent banner in your online store to comply with personal privacy policies
Why you might need to display a cookie consent banner?
Under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) or other private regulations, visitors to your website must consent to being tracked. This means that you must display a notice telling visitors that you use cookie tracking, and offer them the choice to opt in to being tracked.
You can choose to enable cookies without an explicit consent, display a cookie consent banner or disable cookies completely.
Configuring cookie notice settings
You can choose between three options:
- Enable cookies without notice - this will allow cookies to be used in your Twice online store, and does not ask for a cookie consent from the visitors
- Show cookie notice - this will display a cookie consent banner to your visitors. They need to explicitly allow storage of cookies before they can be used.
- Disable all cookies - this will disable the usage of all non-necessary cookies from use. Note that disabling cookies completely might negatively affect the end-user experience and limit some fuctionalities we are able to offer (e.g. Google Analytics integration).
If you select Show cookie notice, you have an additional option to configure the cookie notice behaviour for embedded stores. This allows you to select a distinct cookie consent behaviour in case you have embedded your Twice store to another website. This is useful, if you e.g. do not want to display a cookie banner in embedded context, but want to pass the cookie acceptance via a query parameter.
Passing cookie consent via query parameter
Twice online stores also allow the passing of cookie consent directly as a query parameter. This is useful if you already collect a cookie consent in your own website, and want to pass the consent information directly to your Twice store, and make sure the consumer does not need to give their consent twice. If the cookie consent is passed via a query parameter, the cookie consent banner won't be shown for the customer.
Online store groups cookies to four categories:
- Necessary - necessary cookies for the website to operate. These are always enabled and do not require a consent
- Preference - enable website to remember information that changes the way the website behaves or looks, like the preferred language
- Statistics - used to monitor the performance and usability of the site and needed to provide analytics integrations for the store (e.g. Google Analytics integration)
- Marketing - used to provide advertisement and marketing related integrations to the store
Twice online store accepts a cookies query parameter with the following values:
- cookies=true - all cookies are allowed
- cookies=false - cookies are rejected (necessary cookies are always enabled)
- cookies=pre,sta,mar - comma-separated list of specific cookie-categories to allow (necessary cookies are always enabled), where:
- pre = preference cookies
- sta = statistics cookies
- mar = marketing cookies
Redirecting or embedding a store with a store name myshop that would...
- allow only necessary and preference cookies: rentle.store/myshop?cookies=pre
- allow only necessary, preference and statistics cookies: rentle.store/myshop?cookies=pre,sta
- allow all cookies: rentle.store/myshop?cookies=true
- reject all except necessary cookies: rentle.store/myshop?cookies=false